Sunday, November 23, 2014

Hairspray Technique Experiment

Rather than screw it up again, I've decided to experiment on one of my test tanks.

And I'm going to have a crack at it based on what this guy says here. http://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?116134-Heavy-Paint-Chipping-Tutorial

Plus I'll thin the Vallejo chipping medium with Vallejo thinner instead of water. That was recommended by Vallejo. I suspect water was the problem last time. 

Step #1. Apply flat or satin clear coat
The tank has been sprayed with Tamiya XF-86 Flat Clear. Not XF-22 Gloss. Apparently semi gloss is fine too. The paint was sprayed using the Medium tip of my Badger 150 airbrush. Not the Fine tip as usual. 

Step #2. Apply chipping medium
Applied two generous coats of Vallejo  73.214 chipping medium thinned 60:40  with Vallejo's own 71.161 airbrush thinner using the medium tip of the airbrush. Applied fine. Very smooth. Looked like a semi-gloss. 

Step #3. Apply white paint
Applied several coats of white paint until the Panther was white. And until I ran out of white paint in the airbrush cup. The wheels and the back


So good, so far. 

Step #4. Selectively remove paint
After leaving the paint to dry for over 24 hours due to other things rather than any deliberate intent, I brushed on some water a section at a time and started chipping with the help of a flat brush and a tooth pick. 





Worked well. Very impressed. Now to try it anger. And try out a multilayered approach. Ready for the Cromwell!

I do need however to get some smaller flat brushes and cut off the tips to get do this properly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment